Saturday, September 13, 2014

Arrivals; There Goes the Neighborhood

I stand on the rough looking dock. Dark not-so-sturdy planks of wood keep me from falling into the water. The fire that I set up just a couple of hours ago is still strong, the individual flames occasionally crackling. Waiting for my line to tug from a successfully hooked fish, I hum to myself. I watch the horizon where the bright blue water meets the rising sun. At first I thought it was simply my imagination, but after longer examination I saw three ships sailing straight towards the land that I stand on fishing. I've never seen such contraptions, at least not as complex. The boats that we have in my village are small, supporting only a couple of people and trade items at a time. We use wooden oars to travel to islands close by in order to trade and collect resources. In comparison these ships are giant. They have a deck that can support tons of goods as well as a couple hundred people. They also have white fabric that is suspended to high beams made out of wood.

It dawns on me; these people are not our own. Are they sent by god? What should I do? Are we the chosen ones? After much deliberation, I chose to run down to my village, as fast as my legs can take me. I run to my family and tell them about my find. They don't believe me but follow me nevertheless. I also run to the chief of the camp. I tell him that there are three large boats coming towards our island. He brings a couple of friends and also run towards the dock.

It takes me a while to persuade a couple of my village mates to come to the fishing dock. By the time that I get to the oceanside again, the ships are almost anchored. We start to chant. At the bow of the ship I see a man with a black hat. He points to us, all the while speaking to his mates. He tells his men something and a couple disappear. However they reappear only a couple of minutes later. In their hands are a variety of items that I've never seen before. A red hat with a string of jewels hanging down from the top and a string of those jewels arranged in a circle. As they came down from their large ships we greet them. We run up to their ships and give them a variety of trading goods. From live multi-colored parrots, to cotton, to our stone tipped hunting javelins. In exchange they also gave us small see-through circular objects and another circular object that was cool to the touch and created a noise if shaken. More people from my village come to the shore and greet these mystical humans, with plenty more gifts. Who are they?

These gods are kind and considerate. They're giving and amiable. I am intrigued by all these objects that I've never seen before. I hope that we become good trading partners and build a lasting, cooperative relationship with these people from another land...

No comments:

Post a Comment